Friday, September 28, 2007

I am a 'Cook'er too :)

Hmmm....yummy....tasty....!!!!! This was the response I got when I made vegetable rice last night.

I usually am, or rather, was the kind of person who dint even know where the kitchen was in the house. The only real time kitchen experience I had till earlier was making maggi or a steaming cup of hot coffee. I could only cook as well as an aadivaasi. But recently I discovered the joy ofcooking. It feels great to see people enjoying the food u cook.

Once upon a time, long long ago, in my 9th or 10th grade, when I was still usnsure about which career path to take, I thought may be I should become a chef. So I tried making this stuff namely Mexican rice, but what ultimately it became was african rice. It was burnt black, and sadly the dustbin had to eat it. Several more dishes after that also ended up in disastrous shapes and colours. And there ended my idea of cooking to earn a living. After that episode, neither I nor anybody in my family entertained the idea of me entering the kitchen premises. In emergency cases, dad used to cook, and mind you, he is a great chef.

Sometime earlier, my mom had fallen ill, and being the eldest daughter,and according to a general opinion of all aunts and uncles in the family, being of an agreeable age to get married ( well., I dont quite agree though),I was shown the entry to the kitchen. Reluctantly, I opened the fridge, and the first veggie my eyes fell on was capsicum. So I googled for some capsicum recipie which my mom never tried, and came up with one. It took me nearly an hour and a half to finally finish cooking. And to my surpriseit tasted good. I gave some to my didi, and she came running to find out the recipie.

And from that day on my cooking expeditions started, made at least one dish everyday for a week since then. And thankfully all of them turned out to be good. So now my parents happily claim that at least I wont starve my future husband and kids :P

2 comments:

Jaggu said...

Good to know that girls like you are still interested in cooking these days. Because I am almost confirmed that my future wife may not feed me, so I learnt cooking very well...ha ha ha.
Anyway nice post and welcome to my blog

Anonymous said...

hahaha,itz me sandy,i wont trust u unless u make a dish for me..itz too early..!;)